2019 Meeting & Speaker Schedule
January 16, 2019: Executive Session with speaker Mark Parrott
February 22-23, 2019: Retreat!
March 20, 2019: Executive Session with speaker David Friedman
April 10, 2019: Half day Executive Session (8 am to 1 pm)
April 18, 2019: Vistage Executive Summit at Sonterra Conference Center
May 22, 2019: Executive Session with speaker Jeff Blackman
June 19, 2019: Executive Session
No meeting in July
August 21, 2019: Executive Session with speaker Jim McCormick
September 18, 2019: Executive Session
October 16, 2019: Executive Session
November 20, 2019: Executive Session with speaker Richard Reinis
December 18, 2019: Executive Session with speaker Tim McCarthy
2018 Meeting & Speaker Schedule
January 19-20, 2018: Retreat! (Friday 5pm – Saturday 5 pm)
February 21, 2018: Patrick Ungaschik, “Dance in the Endzone”
March 21, 2018: Brandon Miller, “Leading with Strengths”
April 11, 2018: Vistage Summit @ La Cantera (7:30 am to 2 pm)
April 18th, 2018: Executive Session (Half day)
May 16, 2018: Executive Session
June 20, 2018 – Tom Foster, “Management Myths and Time Span”
July 18, 2018: Brett Pyle, “Your Extraordinary Why” (Half Day)
August 22, 2018: Executive Session
September 19, 2018: Executive Session
October 17, 2018: Executive Session
November 14, 2018: Ark Rosental, “Internet Strategy for Extraordinary Results”
December 19, 2018: Randy Nelson, “The Second Decision – The Qualified Entrepreneur”
Speaker Program Overview and Bios
Patrick Ungaschik, “Dance in the Endzone”
Patrick Ungashick turns the conventional wisdom about exit planning upside down. Rather than presenting “exit planning” as it’s commonly understood (i.e., the last minute scrambling many business leaders find themselves doing immediately before sale or succession) Ungashick presents a radically different approach. He asks, “What decisions need to be made today in order to position the business and its CEO for success at exit?” Too many CEOs and owners struggle at exit or leave value on the table because seemingly innocuous decisions made years ago come back to undermine their results. The good news is that taking action now not only better prepares the leader for exit, it also helps create a better and stronger business today.
Combining more than 25 years of direct experience, findings from national research involving nearly 450 Vistage members, and entertaining real-world case studies and stories, this workshop addresses the essential questions and steps business leaders need to answer to personally prepare themselves for exit. Key issues explored include:
· What is my exit strategy, and how do I know if it is sound?
· What legacy do I wish to create for myself and my organization?
· What will I do with my time and talent in life after exit?
· How much do I need to reach personal financial freedom, and how do I know and track my progress to achieve it?
Value to members
· Answers to the Seven End Zone Questions—the critical questions business leaders and owners must answer to
· Complimentary assessment exercises and tools for the Chair and Members to use after the worksho
In the field of exit planning, Patrick is uniquely qualified to help business owners plan for and create successful exits. He is CEO and co-owner of two companies. More importantly, for more than twenty-five years Patrick has provided exit advice and solutions to business owners in a wide variety of industries, from as small as several million in revenues to more than half a billion. Patrick is the author of two books helping business owners prepare for exit: Dance in the End Zone: The Business Owner’s Exit Planning Playbook, and A Tale of Two Owners: Achieving Exit Success Between Business Co-Owners. He has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Financial Week and other print and radio media. He speaks to several dozen business groups per year how to achieve successful exits.
Brandon Miller, “Leading with Strengths”
Gallup Certified StrengthsFinder Coach, Brandon Miller presents an energetic and informative workshop adapted from the bestselling book, Strengths Based Leadership. In this training, Miller provides a perfect blend of leadership development principles for today’s business leader as well as insights for how to be a more effective leader of individuals and teams. During the interactive presentation, Miller shares the three key findings from Gallup research on the qualities and practices of the most effective leaders. Key takeaways for participants include:
1. Awareness of personal leadership Strengths.
2. Application of Strengths as a leader of executives, managers and teams.
3. Achievement of goals and objectives through a Strengths approach to business outcomes.
Value to members
Members will participate in the StrengthsFinder assessment and gain a deeper understanding of their personal talents and how to build and maintain strong partnerships and teams. The StrengthsFinder is an instrument designed to identify natural talents within people. Over 13 Million people have learned their strengths and 94% of the S and P 500 use the StrengthsFinder within their organizations.
Members are also given a lifetime voucher after the workshop and may take advantage of the following:
1. Electronic copy of the handouts.
2. Free one hour executive strengths coaching session.
Brandon Miller is the CEO of 34 Strong Inc, a company focused on Strengths Based Organizational Development. He utilizes the Clifton StrengthsFinder as an important tool in working with leaders to understand and invest in their personal strengths and the strengths of the people they lead. His expertise is in architecting an organizational foundation whose core is strengths focused. Since 2003, Brandon has coached 1000+ people through their StrengthsFinder results and facilitated trainings for hundreds of teams in 100+ organizations in government, corporate and non-profit organizations. Some recent clients Brandon has had the honor to work with include: Johnson and Johnson, Tesla Motors, Plum Organics, Vistage International, Douglas County Chamber of Commerce, Bank of America, UC Davis and The FDA. Brandon is the author of the e-book: “Play Like a Team, Win Like a Team” which provides insight into working together as a team from a strengths perspective. He can be reached at: email@example.com
Tom Foster, “Management Myths and Time Span”
In the hopes of filling a position in the corporate org chart, we diligently interview, do personality testing and check references. We hire the person with the best of intentions only to find them failing after a few short weeks. We select our top performer and promote them to the next level, introduce them to the team as their new leader, only to find them floundering and earning no respect. You just promoted Sally -- she is now in your office complaining that her new boss has his head in the clouds and is completely out of touch with the real problems facing the department. Ten minutes later, Sally's boss, Joe, is in your office complaining about Sally, his new direct report, saying that she is totally incompetent and cannot see the big picture. What did we miss?
Tom Foster will present the works and statistically significant scientific findings of the late Elliott Jaques, the psychologist who discovered a correlation between workers across industries and their ability to handle different levels of mental complexity. Particular areas that will be addressed are:
· the flat organization is a misguided management fad -- organizational hierarchy is important and exists for very specific reasons
· a hiring manager will not willingly hire anyone at or above his or her level of mental complexity
· personality conflicts in an organization are often smokescreens for a deeper reason why we should not have Sally report to Joe
· most CEOs have difficulty understanding the true nature of executive work and often, are drawn into activity that pulls them away from higher-level responsibilities.
Value to Members: From the presentation, participants will become familiar with Elliott Jaques' “Human Progression Model.” They will understand the impact of this missing link in:
· most hiring processes
· reporting relationships
· defining appropriate levels (complexities) of work.
They will be able to identify this missing link through a structured interview exercise.
Note: Participants may find it helpful to bring a current organization chart, starting with the CEO and driving down three levels into the organization (lines on the chart should represent reporting relationships), and if they exist, a short paragraph description for the CEO and each of the senior management positions.
Biography: Tom Foster works with CEOs, managers, supervisors and teams in the areas of delegation, planning and communication skills. He spent 14 years in the television production industry and another 10 years with a large CPA firm. A Vistage Chair since 1995 and former trainer with Dale Carnegie Training, Tom holds a B.A. in radio-television-film and a master's degree in communication, both from the University of Texas, Austin.
Brett Pyle, “Your Extraordinary Why”
How many times in life do we challenge ourselves, and our businesses, with lofty goals, only to discover that their achievement ultimately fails to satisfy? When articulating a vision, setting goals and choosing where to invest our time, do we think deeply enough about:
· Who we are?
· What we're passionate about?
· What we, and our companies, are uniquely gifted to accomplish?
· Why any of these things really matter in the first place?
Participants in this workshop begin by identifying what truly matters most to them, both professionally and personally. They're then led on a journey of deep reflection to clarify the all-important drivers behind those priorities - the "why" behind the "what" - to gain insight about their lives and corporate purpose. With that larger context of significance in mind, they are subsequently introduced to an innovative "future first" model of planning to accelerate them toward clarifying and achieving their most extraordinary goals.
This highly interactive workshop is appropriate for CE, SB and Key Groups. It's also ideally suited for member retreats, with or without spouses, as a stand-alone Transformational Learning module or as part of a Visioning / Strategic Planning working retreat.
Value to Members: Participants leave with deeper understanding of their purpose, a written set of long-term, guiding goals aligned with that purpose, and a list of nearer-term actions needed to achieve a success that matters to them, their company and the world around them.
Biography: Brett Pyle is a Vistage Chair and the founder/CEO of The Global Executive Group, developing global leaders and communicators who deliver breakthrough results that truly matter to the world. Previously, he served as the president and chief marketing/sales officer for a start-up technology company and spent 20 years in senior executive roles in the United States, United Kingdom, China and Japan in the petrochemical industry for BP/Amoco, and in the management consulting field for Andersen Consulting. His formal education includes a systems engineering degree from the University of Virginia and executive education programs at the Harvard Business School, Stanford's Graduate School of Business and the University of Cambridge.
Ark Rosental, “Internet Strategy for Extraordinary Results”
In the past decade, the discipline of reaching, persuading, and engaging people had changed forever. The old economy where goods, services, and information were sold, is giving way to a new flat-world economy where goods, services, and information are bought. We buy what we want, when and where we want it, armed with knowledge and using the screen that is most convenient for us at that moment. This change requires a major transformation of all sales-oriented organizations' thinking to survive and thrive
In this high-level and highly interactive presentation designed specifically for business owners and C-level executives, Ark Rozental utilizes information gathered from Members prior to the meeting to demonstrate that no matter how the march of technology goes on, fundamentally we’re all human, and being human has limits and presents opportunity.
Value to members
It really doesn’t matter what business or industry you are in, how big or small your company is, how long you’ve been around, how successful you are, or how you feel about technology. This is not a conversation about technology or what our kids and employees know and we don't, or the current "buzz". It is a big-picture look into how to use the Internet to evolve your sales organization and effect sustainable growth.
Key takeaways for members include:
· Internet is not simply another sales and marketing channel; it is all about gathering, analyzing and leveraging data to improve all aspects of your business.
· A profound and conscious awareness of why past experiences and patterns of success that got us here are not going to protect where we are – let along get us to where we aspire to go.
· Evidence-based decision making approach to achieve optimal sales results.
Co-founder of Reach Smarter, Vision Shift Partners, and B2H, Ark Rozental is critically-acclaimed marketing advisor, inventor, and better data use advocate. His thought leadership on leveraging data for outcomes was cited in “Entering the Shift Age: The End of the Information Age and the New Era of Transformation” (#1 Bestseller on Amazon in Business Planning and Forecasting), and “Brand Shift: The Future of Brands and Marketing”(selected as one of the TOP FIVE best marketing books published in the WORLD in 2014 by Marketing & Sales Books annual Marketing Book of the Year contest - one of the most prestigious awards in business publishing).
Randy Nelson, “The Second Decision – The Qualified Entrepreneur”
A highly interactive self-awareness and leadership journey/workshop for the Leader that challenges them to ask themselves: “Am I the right person in the right seat for the next 3-5 years”, as well as challenging the Leader to grow their leadership skills as fast as their company is growing/has the capability to grow.
· He brings the audience with him on a submarine voyage for the first hour, closing the doors and asking them to look at only themselves from a position of vulnerability and personal growth. He shares relevant and inspiring stories from his submarine and entrepreneurial careers that force the participants to look at themselves in the mirror throughout, with the goal of taking them a bit (or a lot) out of their comfort zone throughout the presentation.
· He will share thought provoking material from his Amazon #1 best-selling book; The Second Decision; The Qualified Entrepreneur that will get members to reflect on their qualifications as a Leader in their company.
“Far too often I observe that for many entrepreneurial leaders commitment means “I know I should”, or “I really want to”, or “I’m really going to try”, that’s not what will get the job done to become a Qualified Entrepreneur.” Bill Buxton; Master Chair, Vistage International; 13-time Chair Excellence Award
Value to members
· He will highlight the “Entrepreneur Qual Card” created in his book. The qual card is a checklist of knowledge requirements needed by every entrepreneur, built around the top 10 reasons why businesses fail or underperform.
· He will walk the participants through a one-page worksheet during the workshop portion, asking them probing and sometimes provocative questions that culminate with each member walking away with their own one-page leadership decision sheet that can be used well into the future as a reference document.
· He will focus on increasing the participant’s self-awareness and he will help the Leader make “The Second Decision”; to become a “Qualified Entrepreneur, and to choose their role for the next 3-5 years”.
Randy H. Nelson is the CEO of Gold Dolphins LLC. www.randyhnelson.com
· He is a former Navy Nuclear Submarine Officer and is the current Board Chair for the General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center at NC State University in Raleigh, NC. General Shelton was the 14th Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1997-2001, serving under both President Clinton and President George W. Bush.
· His first company, Orion International, the largest military recruiting company in the US was sold to Private Equity in 2007 and has placed over 33,000 military veterans into industry since 1991. His second company, NSTAR Global Services was selected for the Inc. 500 list of fastest growing privately held companies in the US in 2007 (#163 on the list) and was sold to a Multi-Billion German company in 2010.
· He has been a member of Vistage 488 in Raleigh, NC since 2004 and the Entrepreneurs Organization (EO) since 1998. He has attended the EO Birthing of Giants program at MIT from 1999-2001, EO Advanced Business Program at MIT from 2006-2007 and EO London Business School in March 2015.
A Look Back
2017 Meeting and Speaker Schedule
January 10, 2017 – Executive Session
February 10 & 11 2017 – Retreat
March 7, 2017 - Bill Hawfield, “Visual Planning”
April – Vistage Executive Summit
May 2, 2017 – Executive Session
June 6, 2017 – Jay Rifenbary, “No Excuses!”
July 11, 2017 – Executive Session
August 1, 2017 – Mike Pierce, :Leading at 90 Below Zero”
September 5, 2017 – Executive Session
October 3, 2017 – Gustavo Grodnitzky, “Motivating the Millennial Generation”
November 7, 2017 – Jaynie Smith, “Competitive Advantage”
December 5, 2017 – Ryan Avery, “Leading Through Storytelling”
Meeting and Speaker Schedule for 2016
January 12, 2016 – Executive Session
February 9, 2016 – Al Killeen, “The 8 Critical Steps for Overcoming your Business Problems”
March 1, 2016 – Executive Session
April 6, 2016 – Vistage Executive Summit (Austin)
April 15, 16 – Retreat and Speaker, Abe Wagner, "Breaking the Communication Barrier at Work and Home"
June 7, 2016 – Bob Gibson, "Effective Executive Negotiation"
July 12, 2016 – Mitch Gooze, “Effective Marketing: How to Get It Or Tell If You Already Have It”
August 2, 2016 – Harvin Moore, “Integrity in Your Pursuit of Profit”
September 13, 2016 – Executive Session
October 4, 2016 – Michael Allosso, “Best Performance by an Executive in a Leading Role (You on Your Best Day)
November 1, 2016 – Bob Anderson, “Harnessing the Power of Emotionally Intelligent Leadership”
December 6, 2016 – Executive Session